The REEL DOCS Selection Committee
is now accepting submissions for 2023!
We seek documentaries that engage both heart and mind,
illuminating extraordinary lives
and events, or exploring social issues.
After a hiatus due to the pandemic, REEL
DOCS will resume bringing the best documentaries of established and emerging filmmakers to enthusiastic audiences in San Miguel.
If you would like to submit a film, please review our List
of Requirements before submitting your film:
- We only accept feature-length documentary films produced within the last five
- REEL DOCS specializes in documentary films with strong personal narratives and/or that
are about the arts.
- If your film is not one or both of those things, please do not submit
- Submissions must include a brief synopsis of your film and bio about the
- Please send a screener link and password for our Selection Committee to review your
Once our Selection Committee extends an
invitation to REEL DOCS, we require the following:
- The filmmaker must appear in person to present two showings of your selected film, each followed by a 20- to 30-minute audience
- We will schedule dates at your convenience, as we are a year-round festival.
- We are capable to stream your films for screenings but prefer Blu-Ray. Our audiences expect high production
- Previous festival screenings are not necessary; we are happy to host your doc’s debut if selected!
Filmmakers whose work is selected must
be willing to spend a minimum of three consecutive days in San Miguel de Allende. REEL DOCS will provide accommodations for up to 4 nights for the filmmaker and one travel companion occupying the
same room. Airfare, ground transportation, meals and any additional expenses are the responsibility of the filmmaker, but we are happy to help with local arrangements.
If you meet all these requirements, email
your submission with screener link with password to Submissions@reeldocs.org for our Selection Committee to review.
REEL DOCS, a documentary series, showcases international documentary filmmakers in an intimate 91-seat theatre
that is part one of the largest bilingual libraries in Mexico.
REEL DOCS is a non-profit endeavor benefiting programming for local children at the Biblioteca Publica. Therefore, we will
provide local housing for filmmakers, but filmmakers are asked to pay for their own transportation to San Miguel. Selected films for upcoming sessions will be grouped around common themes. Screening
dates will be based on filmmakers travel plans and availability prior to each film series.
San Miguel is famous for our large expatriate and tourist populations, which support the many cultural activities the city has to
Caren Cross, REEL DOCS Founder (right)
Jennifer Posner, Director (left)